Spring is now for certain here but what are the hottest accessories trends that the top fashionistas are using today. This season it’s all about the reinvention of the handbag. From bottomless bags to micro bags that you just but your lip balm in, all of these trends are for certain going to be on the streets and think about it, no structure bags equals carry more where micro minis you carry less. The designers were probably thinking of me when making these. It’ll be cool to have a bag that you can carry anything in and then a bag for when you want to leave everything at home.
How was April? We hope it was well and that you missed us. There is some exciting news that is coming your way on May 24th. As always keep following us on all our platforms and be ready for a huge post on our big announcement on the 24th.
I went to visit family and friends in Houston and it was great refresher from the city. While there, I went to The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston to see the Ron Mueck exhibition. His pieces brought the unreal and real together to create sculptures that take you a different land. It was a beautiful and eerie exhibition. If you’re Houston and want to step out of reality, check it out.
Graphic Images Below
And to lighten the mood... Go be a boss in life!
The month of March will be focused on empowering and celebrating women everywhere. Let us know what makes you empowered and how you celebrate being an extrodinary woman.
This month was filled with a lot of black magic and it just shows how amazing we are. As black history month closes, don't forget that celebrating black magic never stops. Here's a reminder: always prosper, always lift your community, always give, and never stop being magical.
As Black History Month is coming to an end, we want to bring light the top fashion designers and influencers that help make fashion great. Black fashion have been changing the game of fashion since day one and we love to put the spotlight on the people that helped do that.
Also, if you want to see current and historical, iconic designs by African Americans check out the Black Designer Exhibition at FIT in NYC. It's amazing showcase of new and old designs that highlight black fashion throughout the decades and bring light to the hardships that black designers had.
Thank You - this fashion week, February 7th to be exact, UCNY turns 2!!! What a time to be 2 years old - ha. I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for your love and support. Because of your support UCNY has been able to grow online as well as with some great retailer. We look forward to another great year with many new and exciting things coming soon!
It’s finally here! Are you excited? This photoshoot has been long in the making. Here are some behind the scene moments to give a teaser to what's coming soon. Take a look and get excited for our newest collection. Preview the full Fall 17 collection February 26th on Facebook Live.
Special thanks to the amazing talent that helped bring these pieces to life.
MUA: Shekima Francois . Model: Ebony Jackson . Assistant: Emilie Alexander .
Photographer: Erin Williams
Michelle Obama has given class and chic a new definition in the past eight years. Showing off her amazing body while playing with structure and prints her style screams a bad a** boss (and also UCNY). Below are our top five looks that she has slayed in the last eight years.
And again, thank you for showing style, class, chic and being a boss.
President Barack Obama served approximately 2,920 days in office, that included two inaugurations, many setbacks and greater accomplishments. His greatest accomplishment was completing his mission statement that he started day one of becoming president. In current events, when it seems like America is embracing a mighty storm, in the midst is hope. Without any doubt, you can always rely on hope and determination to bring you through your hardest times. President Obama's mission was to reignite the hope in America that citizens were beginning to lose and because of him and everything that he has accomplished he brought back the hope. Below is my note to the powerful, brilliant President Barack Obama.
To President Barack Obama,
On Thursday, January 19th, 2017, you packed your bags, put down your pen and shut off the lights of the Oval Office. The many calls, texts, emails and tweets have already shown you how America will miss you and how much we appreciate you. So, I’m not going to sit here and tell you what you already heard, I’m only going to say what you taught me to move forward with. You and your family revealed that determination, class, respect and faith can move mountains in any situation. I use that when I’m exploring new business adventures or when I’m simply confused and frightful of where our country is headed. Thank you for showing that your faith is apart of you while showing the significance of facing racism in this country. Thank you for being an amazing African-American role model that I and my peers can look up to with pride. Simply, thank you for being you President Obama. So instead of farewell, see you soon fighting the America fight.
One of my favorite fashion companies, Harlem's Fashion Row (HFR), is having a pop up shop on Black Friday in Harlem from 3pm - 9pm. HFR provides a platform for multicultural fashion designers. Now, this is our chance to speak with our dollars. You're going to be spending money on holiday shopping. This is an opportunity to be thoughtful about where you spend your dollars, have a good time, and meet new people all at the same time. Use the link is below to RSVP. You'll also find the venue in the link. I hope you can make it! Feel free to pass this on to your network.
This past weekend I flew out to Arkansas to do my first ever runway show. Yes - it was miles and worlds away from the New York fashion scene but I great opportunity to get my runway/presentation feet wet. I ended up having a blast and the ladies of AKA PAO were so gracious and accommodating. The models for the show were awesome female athletes and one even won silver is the Rio Olympics!! This event pushed me - I came back inspired to and motivated to do NYFW in February - STAY TUNED!
...and yes that the BK Anthem playing.
Black Genius + Hello Lover Coat
I was honored to be apart of the BG feature on creatives. The shoot
location was magic! I'm from Brooklyn and very familiar with most of
it - But was surprised to find the location in Dumbo had a facelift.
Artist, Coby Kennedy painted the large YES murals in 2013. They spoke
right into me as I've been in a mode of saying YES to God lately. I'm
not operating in fear. I, just like the paintings am bold, beautiful
and daring! It's not an easy thing for me to get in front of the
camera but I said YES. So here I am dressed in this fab wrap dress and
cashmere coat and taking to the streets of Dumbo Brooklyn - YASSSS!
By The way - Did you Pre-order your Hello Lover Coat? I'm in love with this coat and how it's perfect for the fall/winter season. Pre-order is now closed; however, be on the look out for the released date to buy your own beautiful Hello Lover Coat.
87 Days left of 2016 – Oh my…
A few years ago, a friend and I put together an event to mark the half-way point of our year. We called it the “The Six Month Check-In”. The premise was, to get a group of women together and do a six month check in on new year resolutions and provide motivation to go forward. We picked a great restaurant in NYC and hired a decorated psychologist to talk to us about staying focused. Everyone in attendance loved the event and encouraged us to do it every six months. We promised…that was 2 years ago…yikes…
We meant well, we really did. So today, with less than 3 months left of the year, I would like to revisit the idea of the in-year check in and share 5 tips on how to end 2016 with a bang!
1. Give yourself credit. Over the last 9 months I have done A LOT! I’m sure you've gotten many things marked off your lists as well. Whatever it might be, even if it’s something small – celebrate. I upgraded my gym membership earlier this year with hopes of going more and utilizing all of the amenities. I went about five times in nine months. But you know what? I’m NOT going to focus on the countless times I didn't go. I’m going to focus on the five times I went and the exhilarating feeling I had afterwards and let THAT be the motivation to get there 5 times in October, and many more times after that. It’s about perspective – focus on what you've accomplished, celebrate and build from there!
2. Plan to build on what you started. Now that you see how awesome you already are. Take it a step further. Plan a few small end of year resolutions. Make the goals small and tangible. Setting these types of goals and achieving them, regardless of how small, releases serotonin (the happiness hormone) which will metabolically inspire you to do more. My end-of-year goal is to get healthy! I have 2 doctor appoints scheduled. I’m going back to the gym starting today (clothes are packed). And I’m making better eating choices as we speak. I ordered sushi and fresh squeezed juice for lunch. I know this is an odd time to want to “get healthy” with the holidays approaching – but during fashion and market week in September, I did not treat my body well. In late, up early and eating just about anything. It was way too much. So now I’m focused and as long as I make better daily food choices, i can make provisions for the feast days ahead!
The point is to make small goals in October that you can commit to and achieve by December. You’ll feel charged going into 2017.
3. Write it all down. Please. Please. Please. Write it down. I read a lot of business and self-help books – including the Bible. And one piece of advice that they all share is the importance of writing down your goals. The Bible says in Habakkuk 2:2, “and the Lord answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it”. Most people are familiar with the first part of this scripture, but neglect the second part – “…that he may run that readeth it”, the simple exercise of writing down a goal and reading it back again will inspire you to “run”. Writing makes it real, it now exist somewhere in the universes besides our head. I start every year with a new physical calendar and journal. I write down everything, even things I know I won’t forget. But let me clear, when I say write, I mean write. I know we live in a digital world and just about everything goes on our phones and tablets - but for me pen and paper are paramount. I need to feel the excitement of drawing a line or adding a check once something is complete. However if you must go digital, do not forget to go back and re-read what you wrote…and figure out a way to cross it off once the goal is complete. It exhilarating!!!
4. Let the right people know! So this is a hard one for most people, myself included. We like to make our plans, write them in our locked journal and not tell a soul. That’s not good. Two important keys: first tell the right person. Studies show that at every age we are affected by the people we interact with. Peer pressure is not something we leave behind in junior high, it affects us immensely throughout our entire lives. I recently read, The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell and he noted some research that found that regardless of upbringing most people make decisions based on context. Context includes physical environment and the people you're around. I mention this because this directly relates to who you tell your plans to. Some people will get it and motivate you. Some people will not get it and motivate you (my corner). But others will never get it and will help you talk yourself right out of your blessings.
Secondly, telling folks will hold you accountable. I have a huge goal – I’m not telling you just yet. Ha. But I’ve literally told every person that would listen what I plan to do the end of the year. I’ve gotten varying responses, and that's fine, but the point for me is that it makes me accountable. I’ve told 234,975 people that I’m doing this…let me figure out how not to look like a liar!
5. Enjoy the holidays! Look – at the end of the day, it’s the end of the year! Make time to enjoy your life, achievements, family and friends. I love the holidays and in years past I’m always working to chase the crazy fashion calendar that’s fast approaching again in February. But this year I have a lot to be thankful for and I’m making time to be grateful. I would encourage you to do the same. We'll get into planning 2017 soon, but in the meanwhile dream the biggest most grandiose dreams you can imagine for you life and write them down!
Let's talk soon!
Why I’m Gucci!
Alessandro Michele – you inspire me.
You might find it odd that a designer would sing praises to another designer – this isn’t all about design it’s about vision and purpose.
Alessandro was appointed creative director of Gucci in January of 2015, after being in the background of the previous creative directors for 12 years. He waited, grinded, proved himself and when, Marco Bizzarri, the new CEO met with him for a 30 minute chat and tea, four hours later, he practically had the job! Michele, was not only amazing at designing clothes but he had a vision for reinventing the entire brand. But before this meeting, he was literally unknown.
“But the reinvention of Gucci was underway. With each careful step since the first show, Bizzarri and Michele have engineered a complete rethinking of the company’s collections, branding, advertising, store concept and, even, corporate culture.” – Business of Fashion, September 2015.
Of course I don’t know Michele personally but because I’m a betting women, I’m going to say without a doubt that he’s familiar with the principles of, hard work + timing + faith + perseverance = success.
It’s not an easy formula, but it’s what I’m leaning on for the success of my brand. There is so much to learn from a good come up or comeback story like Gucci, but if you don’t get anything else, put in the work and just like Michele - everything will come up GUCCI!!!
To read more about the reinvention and branding of Gucci - https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/ceo-talk/reinventing-gucci
September and February are my favorite months of the year! Both contain fashion weeks, on contains my birthday! This September was an exciting time for the brand. We landed our first showroom as a brand, in the historic Showroom Seven! What a dream come true. We opened some great new accounts and met a host of great buyers, stylist and all around cool people.
On September 10th we had the pleasure of participating in the Harlem Fashion Row Pop-Up event again. It was a fantastic event and again I met a lot of great and interesting people. I'm looking forward to doing it again in February.
We also did our first Facebook Live seasonal photoshoot. In case you missed it here is an exclusive look behind the scenes.
Models: Janine Tondu and Katia Michalo
MUA: Shekima Francois
Photographer: James Norton
Assistant: Emilie Alexander
Our new Spring/Summer 16 collection is now available for you all to purchase. And while we know you will have no trouble styling these looks and incorporating them into your daily lives, we at UCNY wanted to give you just a little bit of inspiration on various ways you can wear these new pieces. Tell us what you think or share with us how you added your own personal flare to one of our new items this season!
Pink Bird Print Jumpsuit- Perfect look to bring from Day to Night. The jumpsuit is great for a casual day, whether you are running errands or meeting friends. Pair with a jean jacket and light sneakers and you are cute and comfortable all day long. You can also make this work for night out on the town with your significant other or girlfriends. Add some strappy heels and a sleeveless coat like this one from House of Frasser and you will definitely be best dressed!
Drop Shoulder Crop Top- Girls Day Out. Our signature drop shoulder crop top is an obvious choice for a dressier look. But if you are looking to go a bit more casual for a day of shopping and brunch with the girls, pair this top with some boyfriend jeans and colorful wedges such as the ones below from Charlotte Russe for only $39!
Cobalt Blue Swing Short- Everyday Beach Wear. The Swing Short is great for summer because it light and flowy while still being at a comfortable length for every woman. Show a little more skin with an off the shoulder top like this from Karen Millen and you have the perfect outfit for the perfect summer day.
Earlier last month, Undra Celeste New York spent a beautiful afternoon here in New York City at Cocktails with Claire, sponsored by Fashion Bomb Daily. This event, which took place inside studio 450, was a space to showcase both local and domestic black retailers and vendors. Businesses of all kinds had booths set up, introducing there products to the world. Everything from accessories to natural hair care products to clothing was on display to view and purchase. UCNY also had a booth where guests can view our Spring 16 collection for the first time. Overall the event was a success. It was so enriching being in a room filled with good food, drinks, music and of course other black entrepreneurs.
Our head designer Undra with Claire Summers, publisher and founder of Fashion Bomb Daily and Miss Diddy LA.
Check out our intern Emilie in our Ballet Dancer Print dress!
Cocktails with Claire was a wonderful experience and we cannot wait for the next one!
Today we are giving you a behind the scenes look at what really goes down here at Undra Celeste New York and see what it takes to bring a fashion line from idea to real merchandise delivered straight to your door. During one given moment here at UCNY we can be working on three different seasons at once! While this may sound overwhelming (and it can be sometime!) it's what we do to ensure that you are looking bold and beautiful in your UCNY clothing. So here is a little sneak peak on how everything is done.
Finalizing looks for Spring/Summer 16
At the same we are thinking a year ahead beginning the process of developing Spring/Summer 17. This includes making our inspiration board and beginning sketches. Some of these sketches will be made into early samples to begin showing showrooms and buyers.
Now we are back in Spring 16 mode and it is time to shoot for our website and lookbook!
Once production in our factory here in New York City is done, it's now available to you! And that's how we turn beautiful ideas into a reality. Be sure to check out our new Spring 16 collection which is available online now. Send us images of yourself in your UCNY clothes or tag us on Instagram. We want to see how you use UCNY to live your very best life!
A behind the scenes look and interview at our Fall 2016 photoshoot through the eyes of makeup artist Shekima Francois.
Q: Where do you draw inspiration from for the UCNY seasonal shoots?
A: Honestly I never see Undra’s designs before I arrive for the shoot. So I never have any idea of what looks I’m going to do. However, once I see the designs on the model, I automatically see a story and draw my inspiration from there. In each design I say to myself "she's going here in this item and her face looks like this" and it works if Undra and I’s visions connect.
Q: What products do you believe every woman should have in her makeup collection?
A: A good moisturizer! It doesn't matter how much makeup you own. It will never look good if your skin is not moisturized.
Q: What is the most important beauty/makeup advice that you can give to women?
A: Take care of your skin by investing in good products. I'm not saying go out there and splurge on expensive creams and serums but take the time to nourish your skin from the inside out. I would also recommend drinking plenty of water. If you ask any of my friends they will tell you my answer is always "drink water".
Q: What do you love most about the beauty/fashion industry?
A: I love the creativity of it all. I love that in this industry there is no right or wrong way to do things. Expression is art!
Q: Name one beauty product that you can never leave your house without?
A: I don't have one item lol. I must leave with lipstick and my brow pencil!